If your foot falls asleep, it is not because it is tired, although that may contribute to the problem indirectly. It is because a nerve is being pressed hard enough to disable its normal function. You may have other symptoms as well. Your feet could feel numb or itch, and they could be painful.
Numbness in feet can occur for many reasons, such as:
- a temporary pressure from crossed legs, poor posture, or sitting too long in one aspect
- an injury from a traumatic event or repetitive stress
- a misalignment in the bone structure that entraps the nerves
- a bacterial or viral infection that affects their health and function
- inadequate or too much intake of certain vitamins
- your body’s reaction to a toxic substance you breathed or had skin contact with
- a complication of a disease like diabetes or arthritis
You need expert help to determine exactly what is causing the numbness and tingling in your feet. You can find it in our expert staff at Rocky Mountain Foot & Ankle Center in Wheat Ridge, CO. Just dial (303) 423-2520 or request an appointment through our website.